You know, it’s gratifying that there are people out there that cherish the old ways. I was on Boardgamegeek recently (back up after being inexplicably down for a week) and was catching up on some old geekmail. One of these was a comment from the designer of the old Avalon Hill game WIZARDS. I actually don’t own that game, nor ever played the physical game, because, well, it kind of came and went when I was a youngster– I never saw it in a store. But I love tile based games like this (and the far more complex MAGIC REALM), so I have downloaded and played the Java implementation of Wizards on the dewkid website. It’s a fun pastime, not anything that floats my boat like Colossus does, but it retains the game play and funky artwork of the original nicely, and so it’s a nice diversion. I hadn’t looked at that site in eons, and the geekmail reminded me of it again.. so I popped over, and upon browsing the site for updates, noticed that Robin had made a java app based on the old SPI Time Tripper game. Now this was a development that brought back a flood of nostalgia. I had owned Time Tripper once– and played it, regularly. I inflicted this one on my friends many times. We all liked the premise of the time-tripping Vietnam squaddies encountering hordes of generic bad guys from various realms of history and fantasy. A great game, and a great idea for a java implementation. I have to hand it to people like Robin, they really are the salt of the earth, making stuff like this available for free. Well done!
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
- Samuel Beckett
The Third Blog of Mister Nizz: Covering history, wargaming, reading, writing, game design, miniatures, science, NASA, space exploration, cryptography, politics, society, mathematics, mindbenders, contests, various computer geegaws, gadgets, and gizmos. In other words, an eclectic mix of stuff.
Code of Conduct:
Want to listen instead of read this blog? Click on the Odiogo Link
Airy Persiflage Podcast Player (all posts)To listen to podcasts from our audio site: "Airy Persiflage"Click here for Podtrac Podcast Player
Other Journals of Note
- The British Pathé Blog
- Path to SharePoint
- The Last Refuge
- 5 GB of Wars
- Bob Mitchell in the 21st Century
- Ciekawe Gry
- Student of the American Civil War
- Boromir and Kermit's Hobby Page
- Stumbling in the Shadows of Giants
- Thomo's Hole
- The "do it yourself Doodler" project blog.......
- CHARGE! Civil War wargaming
- Hey Tamara!
- STATELY FREY MANOR
- The Human Condition
- The Skirmish Line
- Feo Amante's WordPress
- The Miniature Building Authority
- The Woolshed Wargamer
- Bangs, Whimpers, Arts, Culture, and Commentary
- A Great Becoming...
- william hope hodgson
- Miskatonic Books Blog
- Anything Worth Doing...
- les jeux de cahiers de cuisine
- Hcon 2013 wrap up part 3 boo.fm/b1512977 via @audioboo 1 year ago
- Hcon 2013 wrap up part 2 boo.fm/b1512976 via @audioboo 1 year ago
- Hcon wrap up part one boo.fm/b1512975 via @audioboo 1 year ago
- Live from HISTORICON 2013 boo.fm/b1510791 via @audioboo 1 year ago
- BOO8 Sunday homeward boo.fm/b1258576 via @audioboo #coldwars #coldwars2013 #convention #hmgs 1 year ago
- On the Bad Vicarage, by Mr. Frank Key, read by Walter O'Hara
- Born of Man and Woman, by Richard Matheson, read by Walter O'Hara
- Lemmings, by Richard Matheson, read by Walter O'Hara
- That's What they Want, by Charles Bukowski, read by Walter O'Hara
- Who in Hell is Tom Jones? By Charles Bukowski, read by Walter O'Hara
- Quiet Clean Girls in Gingham Dresses, by Charles Bukowski, read by Walter O'Hara
- One For Old Snaggle-Tooth, by Charles Bukowski, Read by Walter O'Hara
- Cockroach, by Charles Bukowski, Read By Walter O'Hara
- Alone with Everybody, By Charles Bukowski, read by Walter O'Hara
- Jubilate Agno (the Feline Portions) by Christopher Smart, read by Walter O'Hara
- 297,598 hits